MS2 Comes to a Close




I'm usually a reflection junkie. I love coming to the beginning of a new period of life and writing about my excitement/fears, and ending each year with a journal reflection about how a season went. But I have to be honest, sitting down to write a reflection for my second year of medical school was tough. To be fair, I've been really busy with finishing board exams, squeezing in a measly vacation, moving to NYC, my childhood friend's wedding, and starting third year all within 2 weeks!! But another part of me felt that I didn't want to re-live or dwell on what a tough and challenging experience 2nd year was. Every medical school is a little different, and for some schools 2nd year isn't too bad (and may actually be fun and enjoyable), but at mine, it was pretty brutal (hence first blog post). 2nd year is a constant drowning of learning almost, if not all possible diseases that affect humans. Part of what makes this learning challenging is that science has skyrocketed in it's awesomeness so that now we (the science and medical community) know WAAAY MORE than we used to.



It was a common thing for my professors to say. "We never had to learn this in medical school, because this didn't exist!"



"Well good for you," I would think. "Can you make this a little easier on us?!?!" My private thought-request was never fulfilled.



I haven't gotten my Step 1 score back yet, and I was tempted not to write this post until I got it back, so as to guide the tone of this post. I was either going to be a really happy writing this, or really, really sad. LOL, but anyway, Step 1 is an exam that everyone who is applying to residency in the US has to take. It's the monster of all monster tests that we medical students take (8hrs, 280 questions on everything you learned in 1st and 2nd year). We only get one chance to shine…and you better stinkin' hope you did shine!!!



But instead of writing about more misery, sadness, and the stress of 2nd year, I thought I'd share some highlights, both academic and personal, but mostly personal. It's been super surprising seeing that medicine is not just an academic journey, it's a heavily soulful and spiritual journey as we discover the art of healing and what that means, and learn to handle the stresses we feel on a daily basis. My friends and I definitely grew a lot together, shared the struggle, and developed comradery with each other and the students above us who went through the same thing. We’re all DEFINITELY so happy that we get to move on to our third year rotations and actually see and work with people!





Highlights:


1) I learned to believe in myself, and that I can do much more than I thought I was capable of; like study for 10 hours in one day and stay focused, or score well on exams by changing up my thought-life and study routine, and still sleep 7-8 hrs every night (#gratefulforsleep). I sometimes felt guilty sleeping for more than 6 hrs a night, but when you have to study all day, you need all the sleep you can get!


2) Car talks --> Some of the best conversations came out from sitting with a friend and getting deep about what we really feel. It was always really encouraging to know I wasn't the only one "doing this alone". Oftentimes, my friends and I would figure out that we were having the same fearful, negative, self-deprecating thoughts, and it brought us closer, and helped us learn how we can help each other in this process.

Maybe you need to have a hard/deep conversation with someone. Try going somewhere fun for an evening dinner and see if you can strike the conversation in the car when your time together is winding down. XD Lmk if it works!


3) I learned that I definitely want to be a doctor, and as much as I complain, this is the best thing I could be working for. I hope and pray that everyone (all of you readers) have the courage to go after what you are most passionate about. I hope you can all go after that thing that makes you fall asleep excited because it'll make the night go quicker so you can go and do what you love the next day.


4) SUPPORT FROM PEOPLE and the importance of non-medical friends. The people who really matter in your life are ready to hold and carry you if you communicate with them. I would text my best friends all of my problems and feelings, and I'd be so embarrassed because I'd be texting her the same stress and worried feelings, and she continued to reassure me of the greater picture in life. Being with my non-med friends allowed me to just be Ariel; not a med student, not a future doctor, just silly me. But this doesn't mean you have to date or only have non-med friends (although I highly recommend having at least 1 close non-med friend or else you and your med friend might drive yourselves insane!!)! Just find the people who value your heart above your profession/looks/abilities, etc. There really is nothing like a real heart-warming friendship.


5) My love for exercise and eating well - This is a HUGE topic that I've begun to be more passionate about in my life journey. I was a chubbier and heavier kid, on the border of thicker-fuller and average (what do these words mean anyway, other than our society that tries to dictate to us a certain kind of beauty…lol, anyway…), LOVED sweets and pizza, and animal style fries from In-n-out, and I didn't really mind it for the most part because I grew up a soccer player, and my body was the right build for pushing past defenders to score goals. But I def grew unflatteringly wide in college when I stopped playing, and while in med school, particularly in 2nd year, I realized the importance of making sure I was exercising and eating well, so that I could be my best self!! And it's been fun!!

I never, ever thought I could drop back to the same weight I was in high school, but more importantly never knew I could run and be strong! I fell in love with weight lifting (it's cold for most of the year in the NE, so the gym is a great exercise option) and running (esp when the weather is warmer), and along w eating more fruits and veggies, smoothies, I have never felt so good. I'm not a perfect fitness person or nutritionist, I don't count macros, or have a very developed weight lifting/exercise routine (I'd love to someday!), but it's been great getting my feet wet in that. I'm a very practical and restless person with little time, so the fact that exercising was stress-relieving and good for me worked great! But I also wasn't perfect throughout the year. Sometimes I would only go to gym 2 times a week (esp w heavy study periods), or would only workout for 12 minutes a few times a week because I didn't have time for more. I definitely still snacked a TON especially during stressful study times (salty, crunchy Trader Joe's snacks are my favorite), ate whole bags of snacks, and ate pizza and sushi religiously before every exam (my roommates and I had a rhythm, lol). The sushi became a good option because again, it was practical, quick and easy to eat, and not SO unhealthy. Expensive yes, but I keep telling myself that I'll pay off my debt and be fine when I'm a doctor (at least that's what I'm telling myself; finances are scary, but I also recognize that I have a HUGE amount of privilege to get to live this way).

The point is that every little decision I made to exercise for 10 minutes and eat more fruits and veggies definitely paid off, and after a while, I began to see changes in my body, changes in how I felt energy-wise, and I think it overall helped my mind to stay positive. Also not going to lie, I just love being an athlete and getting to be a "strong woman" that can work-out just like the guys can. Lol, do any of you ladies feel this way too?


6) New love for holistic healing and wellness - So mental health is perhaps the core thing that I realized really drives successful humans. You can define success however you want, but if you don't have a mind that is healthy and happy, you won't be able to truly live the life you want to live. I loved taking on meditation, taking a little extra time to pray or read my Bible in the morning, or simply go for walks down by the water. Whatever gives you peace, I am convinced that every single human deserves the right to have these precious moments in their daily life. I firmly believe that this is an integral part of understanding a patient's health and wellness.


7) Love for how the body works together. IT JUST MAKES SENSE!! - Okay, so it was truly really awesome to go through the year and see how the body works together in such a beautiful way. It's insanely cool how heart function can be measured by how much a person goes pee, or by what the salt content of their blood is. It's amazing that a few simple measurements of the chemicals in the blood can speak to you about the well-being of your patient. The best part about learning about these things in the textbook was getting to see real-life patients with these conditions. When a patient has brain cancer, they really do come in complaining of a new headache and seizures. When a woman has fat necrosis in the breast, she really does feel a hard, irregular mass in the breast. Of course these topics are not to be taken lightly, and are life-threatening, but it was amazing to see these diseases come to life when I would visit the hospital because I already knew how to treat and help that patient. I can safely say I've learned over 300 drug names and functions, and I am so excited to care and heal my patients soon.


8) Learning to be myself and happy w who I am! - I would get critical of myself for always hanging out with friends, having dance parties, working out, singing and playing the piano or guitar in my room bc I was always stressed if I wasn't studying. But I've learned over the years that I can't deny who I am. Or else I will go absolutely crazy. Therefore, if you have a hobby you absolutely love and enjoy, DON'T STOP. Be yourself, and do what you love!!! It will make the process incredibly easier, and taking the breaks is you treating yourself. :)


9) Simplicity and practicality wins every time - if it doesn't make me happy, help me study and be productive, or push me closer to God, then it isn't worth it.


I hope this was another fun insight into the life of a medical student! Don't forget to always, always believe in yourself and never stop.



And check out my first vlogging vid abt my first day as an MS3!! 

https://youtu.be/WiWq_gk81pg




Peace, love, and big hugs,

The Little Honduran Girl

Comments

Popular Posts